Seminars & Study
Annual Training Seminar
August 19 & 20, 2023
Theatre Dept. University of Ottawa
10 Daly Ave., Ottawa, ON.
We invite SCBVM members and guests to join us for our annual Raising the Barre 2023 training webinar and to celebrate the Society’s 50th anniversary. The weekend of master classes, lectures, round-table discussions and performances will culminate with an awards ceremony hosted by our executive and Society alumna.
Sections of this page are under construction.
Please check back soon for further information.
Raising the Barre 2023 will take place in the heart of downtown Ottawa in the LabO facilities, which are housed and managed by the University of Ottawa’s Theatre Department. The studio and black box theatre are conveniently located at 10 Daly Ave. between the Novotel and Les Suites hotel complexes.
The LabO facilities are just steps from the Parliament Buildings, The National Gallery, Ottawa’s iconic Byward Market, the National Arts Centre and the Rideau Canal, making this a wonderful location to kickstart a family vacation.
Accommodation, Parking & Building Access
There are numerous and varied accommodations available within walking distance to the seminar. The following hotels have graciously offered discounts to seminar participants (Note discounts subject to room availability.):
- Les Suites Hotel Ottawa – One bedroom suites for 1-4 people and two bedroom suites for 1-6 people are available. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information brochure. Parking available.
- Novotel Ottawa – To receive your discount use the following booking code: 1074453. Parking available.
- Parking is also available nearby at the Rideau Centre, and at the University of Ottawa’s surface parking lot on Stewart St. all day on weekends. (Rate $5.50/hr or $11.00/day.)
- Important note regarding building access: The City of Ottawa will be doing road resurfacing on the dates of the seminar. The affected roads are Besserer, Nicholas, and Daly. Access to the building during the evening will likely be affected. The City is not closing any roads, but note that lane closures are expected. We encourage you to use alternative forms of transportation to access LabO during the construction period.
- Have registration or other seminar questions? Contact email@example.com.
- Download a registration form in Word or Pages format.
- Please remit a completed registration form with your payment information to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August. 5, 2023.
- Our first 50 registrants will receive a swag bag of items from various dancewear brands courtesy of Brio Bodywear, Ottawa.
If you would like to attend our Awards Night event, but are unable to participate in the full seminar, tickets are available for $30.97 plus tax per person. Please use a registration form to reserve your tickets for the evening.
|Membership Level||Seminar Fee
(due Aug. 5)
|Early Bird Discount
(due June 15)
|Dancer (Master Class Fee)||$35.00||n/a|
|Awards Night & Reception Only Ticket||$30.97||n/a|
|Performance Only Ticket||$13.27||n/a|
|T-Shirt (see image below)||$20.00||n/a|
All quoted fees are in Canadian dollars and do not include 13% Ontario tax.
Early Bird Discounts:
To receive the early bird discount, pay your seminar registration fee by June 15, 2023.
Refer non-members to our Seminar and receive 50% of the value of their seminar registration fee as a credit on your account for 2023/24. Please see the registration form for full details.
Schedule & Topics
Saturday, Aug. 19, 2023 (subject to revision):
- 9:00-9:30am – Registration
- 9:30-11:00am – Fundamentals & Core Values of Vaganova Styling with Ekaterina Trunina, Bolshoi Ballet Academy
- 11:00-11:15am – Break
- 11:15-12:30pm – Music for Dance Teachers with James Wright, Ph.D
- 12:30-1:30pm – Lunch (not provided)
- 1:30-3:00pm – Vaganova Style Participation Class with Sonia Franco de Batres – open to registered seminar participants
- 3:00-3:15pm – Break
- 3:15-4:30pm – Revised Syllabus Presentation #1 with SCBVM Examiners Merle Adam & Leica Hardy
- 4:30-6:30pm – Supper Break
- 6:30-7:30pm – Champagne & Appetizer Reception
- 7:30-9:00pm – Awards Night Celebration with performances by SCBVM alumna.
Sunday, August 20, 2023 (subject to revision):
- 9:30-10:30am – Pointe Shoe Fitting Guidelines with Gilbert Russell owner of Brio Bodywear & master pointe shoe fitter
- 10:30-10:45am – Break
- 10:45-12:00pm – Revised Syllabus Presentation #2 with SCBVM Examiners Merle Adam & Leica Hardy
- 12:00-1:00pm – Lunch (not provided)
- 1:00-1:30pm – Annual General Meeting
- 1:30-2:30pm – Character Participation Class with Olesia Egorov – open to registered seminar particpants
- 2:30-3:15pm – Enchaînement Presentations with SCBVM Examiners Jane Pound & Denise Vitali
- 3:15-3:30pm – Break
- 3:30-5:00pm – Pre-Elementary/Elementary Master Class with Sonia Franco de Batres – open to registered seminar participants and master class ticket holders
Help support and promote our Society with the purchase of our 50th anniversary t-shirt. The cost is $20.00 plus 13% tax. You can pre-order your size and purchase via the registration form or purchase one at at the registration desk during the seminar.
Children who begin to study at the start do exercises at the barre and in the centre only in dry form without any variations. Variations in time signature avoid monotony. – Agrippina Vaganova from Basic Principles of Classical Ballet p. 11